Riots and protests can break out at anytime and anywhere – a frightening reality for everyone. Here are some tips to help you avoid a protest/riot, and how to avoid getting caught up in the situation.
- If you hear that a protest is taking place either peaceful or not, avoid the area or stay in your present location until you are sure that it’s safe to go out
- If you find yourself caught up in a protest or riot keep to the edge of the crowd where it is safest. Try not to be identified as one of the protester by keeping well away from the leaders
- Remember to keep calm – the crowd should sweep past in a short space of time
- If you come across a riot, don’t become inquisitive, just leave the area and find another route to your intended destination
- In the event that you are arrested by the police/military, do not resist. Go along peacefully and contact a close person that you think can assist.
- Don’t Try to Be a Hero, get yourself and your loved ones to safety and leave the rest to the police.
- Avoid any place where police or security force action is in progress.
- Never drive through a crowd
- If you find yourself in the path of a crowd, turn down the nearest side road, reverse or turn around and drive away calmly
- If you cannot drive away, stop and turn the engine off. Lock the doors and remain calm. Be sure not to show hostility or anger
That’s all folks. Remember, in a mob or riot, your one goal is to get out alive. That’s it. These are some of the tactics that can help you do it. You’re not in it to fight (you’ll lose) and you’re not in it to prove your point or change hearts and minds (they won’t listen anyways).
Get out, stay alive, and go home.