Driving in the rain, whether a heavy downpour or sprinkle can be very difficult especially if the driver doesn’t have a knowledge of how to safely maneuver their vehicles and avoid weather-related accidents.
However, here are important safety tips for driving in the rain:
- Grip the steering wheel with both hands to maximize vehicle control: Ensure that there is no form of distraction which include not using your cell phone, eating and drinking.
- Turn on your headlights: Turning on your vehicle’s headlights will increase both your own visibility and other drivers’ ability to see your car on the road.
- Slow down: Wet roads are very dangerous because it reduces your traction. Therefore, the vehicle becomes more difficult to control.
- Maintain a safe distance between cars: Always ensure you keep a great distance between your vehicle and the car in front of you, at least five-second gap. This gives you time to adjust should there be a need for it.
- Avoid Heavy Braking: In rainy season, avoid slamming on the brakes. Slow yourself down by taking your foot off the accelerator. Failure to do this causes the vehicle to slide forward, and you won’t be able to control the car.
- Avoid flooded areas: Flooding the engine of your car can cause the engine to stop suddenly. Never drive through flowing water unless you have no choice or you can follow someone else to know the depth of the water.
QUESTION: What do I do when my car begins to hydroplane
ANSWER: If your car hydroplanes, calmly take your foot off the accelerator and steer in the direction that the front of your car needs to go. Avoid making sudden turns or slamming on your brakes
QUESTION: Do I need to ventilate my car in the rain
ANSWER: Yes, because rain causes humidity levels to increase. You may find that your vehicle’s windows become foggy when you operate your vehicle while it is raining
QUESTION: How often should I change my car wipers
ANSWER: Replace your wipers regularly, at least once a year. Wiper blades in bad condition don’t clear water from the windshield very well and distort your view.
QUESTION: What do I do if my car stalls in deep water
ANSWER: Firstly, don’t panic. Get out of your vehicle and stay off the area if you aren’t experienced in pulling out a vehicle. Request the services of a qualified personnel from SecureView app.